I LOVE TO LAUGH. Who doesn’t? I would go so far as to say, there are few things in life that I love as much as a huge belly laugh, tears streaming down my contorted face, sides aching, almost peeing in my pants kind of laugh. I love that feeling and yet, I asked around and almost unanimously, it’s rare! RARE! More specifically, laughing with your partner, your spouse, your significant other. So what’s the problem people? Why aren’t we all laughing more?? Why is life have to be taken so seriously? I know what you are thinking “THAT’S A BIG STATEMENT coming from you.” But even in our darkest moments, we have found humor to set us free. And truly, Lance and I laugh more now than we ever did. I love love love that feeling having a big laugh with Lance…it’s like some kind of high. Except he didn’t think it was so funny the other day when I told him his salad looked like it came from Denny’s 🙁
I have always been someone who loves to laugh..often during inappropriate times (in yoga, in meditation, in places where you are supposed to be quiet…I think several of my witnesses will remember some of those uncomfortable situations). And I have always had big laughs with my friends. But I notice within myself and with my friends, we get more serious when we are with our partner. Talking about “responsibilities” (children, money, work, etc). Why not just take the night off, and just be with each other and with the kids (if you have them) and just laugh. Play games…charades makes everyone laugh in my family or watch a funny movie, or just be goofy. Sometimes I do this really weird fake laugh and I look like such a freak, but inevitable I can make my whole family laugh. Even just making a goofy face can make you laugh and you know what?….it feels good. It feels so good I ask myself, I ask all of you “why not just laugh a little more and frown a little less?”
Earlier this summer, I told Lance we needed to laugh MORE! That it was a key ingredient to his healing. So, we actually did seek out things that would add more humor to our lives. Here are a few things that we have actually brought more laughter in our lives.
- For the first time EVER in our entire relationship, Lance and I occasionally watch a TV show…called Modern Family. I think anyone who watches it feels like they know at least one of those characters in real life. For us it’s the hilariously funny gay guy Cam.
- Our friend Amos. He came to visit from Vegas where he does an opening act at the Wynn Hotel as a clown…not a creepy clown but a clown in a tux. Amos, come back. You had us all in hysterics for 4 days.
- Some unmentionable things I just realized but they were funny!
- Seeing Lance sitting on the couch bald, wearing his galabeya as if this was the most normal of attire was definitely my biggest laugh of 2011.
I called Lance the other night (I was out) and when he answered the phone his voice sounded weird (had he been crying was my first thought?). NOOO! He said ‘I’m watching Louis CK …and I almost peed in my pants.” Music to my ears…
There are some people I know that have a pretty sh**ty diet but I swear they laugh more than anyone I know and I swear they will live to be 100 and still be laughing. I believe in laughing so much that I think it’s not only something that prevents but heals. Science shows that laughter among other things, has the following effects:
- boosts the immune system, triggers the release of endorphins (the body’s natural feel good chemicals & the body’s natural pain killers)
- relaxes the whole body (for up to 45 min)
- protects the heart (it improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems).
- stimulates the heart and lungs
- improve mental functions (i.e., alertness, memory, creativity)
So start laughing people.
Lance and I have realized that sometimes it’s more important to laugh than mediate. On that note, I would challenge all of you, to just notice, situations where you might typically be serious, and instead you could be silly. Is that so hard? I bet it’s a lot easier than juicing!
We would love to know what makes you laugh. Humor us with your humor.
Love and Laughter,
PS: I am actually trying to relieve my dear friend Mary who has sent out every single update in disguise of myself or Lance. So if you want to get notification when we post, please subscribe at the top right. Thank you so much for reading.